Monday, January 16, 2012

Singing the Gun Show Blues

I went to a gun show this weekend, and I have to say that they have really lost their luster. There are basically two reasons to go to a gun show: (i) have the opportunity to look at a broad selection of guns, and (ii) pick up a good deal on a firearm (especially with used firearms), books, gear, ammo, and so on. There is still generally a good selection of firearms, although less of the latest and greatest than there used to be. My complaint is the lack of any good deals. And I mean any.

It is no longer "used" firearms--they are "vintage" or "collectors." Meaning, extravagant sums for even guns that are beat up and probably not serviceable. For instance, I saw an old lever-action Winchester that literally was covered by a patina of rust all over the action and outside of the barrel (and I don't doubt, the inside of the barrel and the chamber)--$600. I have a friend that collects WWII rifles, so I look for those. Found three (3) Arisaka rifles in bad, bad shape, and even with the stocks cut down, for which they wanted between $400 and $500. Even on firearms that weren't in bad shape, but still obviously used, the dealers wanted premium prices. And, of course, there are always those handful of dealers that get stuff from Century Arms and then double the price.

I noticed the same for books. Used books--nothing special--at $50 or $100 dollars each. Gimme a break!  Even new books were being sold for more than the suggested retail, even if it was just 50 cents or a dollar.

Anyway, the lesson is that if you plan on going to a gun show to look at a particular firearm or other product, do some research first on prices. No sense paying for admission and then having to pay premium (or above-premium) prices for everything.

I would note that this might just be where I live. But I really question even the "entertainment" value anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment